Sunday, May 22, 2011

Something(s) I've Learned

1) I am not a very good OR consistent blogger. It's been weeks and weeks since I updated last! I always have grand schemes of posting different things, but I rarely get around to it in a timely fashion.


2) Never try to dye Easter eggs a la Country Living (or Martha Stewart, or Better Homes and Gardens, or....you get the picture). Mom and I had a somewhat unfortunate attempt at dyeing eggs a few weeks ago. Let the fun begin...
Start with some hardboiled eggs....although you can use non-hardboiled eggs, but as my dad said, "What would you do with those?" ("Eat them," we replied.)

We  gathered our foliage--ferns, leaves, flowers, cut some pantyhose up, and started bundling our eggs with the greenery. It wasn't as easy as CL made it out to be, but we managed.
Three of our eggs, ready for dyeing!
We thought that these cups would be the perfect size....but then we put boiling water in one of them, with these results. "I'm melting, I'm melting!" said Mom.
Take two, with styrofoam cups--less eco-friendly, but much sturdier. We chose yellow, blue, and green to start. 
Here are some of our results! We liked the yellow the best.
The shamrock had the best contrast, but wasn't very seasonal.
The purple dye was kind of ugly, and those evergreen-y ferns were very disappointing,
The whole mess!

In conclusion, some of the eggs (the ones Mom was in charge of) were cuter than others (my eggs, which ended up hidden under the pretty eggs). In any case, after the lace fiasco of 2004, multiple years that Hilary and I tried to decorate eggs with crayons, neon dyes, and now this---I think we'll stick with simple egg-dyeing from now on...until next year, when we see another foolproof way of dyeing eggs in another magazine...and we'll inevitably think that we should just try it once more!

No comments:

Post a Comment