Sunday, November 7, 2010

Giving Thanks: Day 7

Alright, even though I occasionally complain about these, and I don't relish the idea of working on Saturdays, today I'm thankful for Reading Saturdays, also known as Royal Readers. Part of my job at the King Center is planning and coordinating these Saturdays, and I've come to really appreciate the time that I get to share with the students who come to these Saturdays. There is a core group of kids who come every week, and I love getting to spend time with them in an informal, fun setting.

I'll just give you a quick overview of what we do at a Reading Saturday: the kids come at around 10:15 (some come a lot later, some come earlier) and we color pictures for about 20 minutes. Then we go up to the library (see earlier post for a picture) and read a book as a group. Each Saturday has a theme--I've done Ezra Keats, apples, Halloween, Arthur, and Dr. Seuss, and I have a lot more to plan! After we read together, the kids split up into groups and go to read with a Houghton volunteer (also something I'm very thankful for!) while I usually set up the craft and the snack. Then they come to the cafeteria and do a craft that relates to the theme, and then we have a snack! They go home at around noon, and then the cleanup begins! 

Modeling the fancy glasses we made in honor of Arthur and his glasses.

Coloring a haunted house!

Look at that smile :)

Some of the kids, hard at work.

A decorated bag all ready for the snack!

I think he thinks this is a smile...adorable.

She has come from the very beginning--what a cutie pie!

A silly picture in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment