Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dangerous Chiles

Last night, I was making dinner for our house--White Chicken Chili. Sounds simple, right? So, I'm chopping up onions and peppers and garlic, and as I'm cutting up this pepper, I taste a little piece to see how hot it is. It said at Wegman's it was "warm to moderately hot," I had never had it before, but it was a green chili.

It looks so innocuous...

It was VERY HOT. 

My mouth was burning and my lips felt like they were blistering!! I was all alone in the house, so I was running around, trying to figure out what to do. I grab a glass of milk and drink it, so my mouth feels better, but my lips still kill. I drink TWO glasses of milk, and I decide to get a third one, just to soak my lips in (I know, it was ridiculous).

I run to the fridge and open it up, pour my glass of milk, and as I'm putting it away, the milk FALLS OUT OF THE FRIDGE and spills all over the floor. I'm literally slipping around in milk and my lips are burning and I don't know what to clean the milk up with. I run to my room and grab my normal towels to mop up the mess, which was disgusting. I sop up the milk with my towels and throw them into the washer immediately--so gross. It was exactly like a sitcom...I almost wish there had been cameras there, just so everyone could have seen the utter ridiculousness of the whole situation.

My lips started feeling better after I dipped a washcloth in milk and dabbed it on my lips for a long time. Even though I was in lots of pain, there is no visible damage, thank goodness.

But do you want to know the worst part?

The chili wasn't even that good.

2 comments:

  1. SO I am totally going to follow your blog :) You should follow mine too...I post semi regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I got a third glass of milk to soak my lips in." I'm laughing out loud. (And do you need dishtowels? I have like a million.)

    Oh dear. Bummer that the chili wasn't even totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete